We can all agree to the fact that we cannot do without salt in our food. It is indeed one of the most important ingredients that go into our food. Here are ten interesting facts about salt.
1. The estimated amount of salt South African’s consume each day is 8.5 grams per day.
2. Diets that are high in salt can cause high blood pressure. High blood pressure is one of the main causes of stroke as well as heart disease.
3. It is recommended that up to a maximum of five grammes of salt be consumed daily – no more! Note that this is the same quantity as one teaspoon of salt.
4. Bread is the single highest contributor to the total salt intake of South Africans.
5. It can cause headaches.
6. All foods that come from animals contain sodium naturally. Most fresh fruits and vegetables also contain some sodium but in smaller amounts.
7. Some over-the-counter drugs and medications contain sodium.
8. Salt is one of the first food additive and seasoning used by man for taste and also flavours.
9. Salt is simply an ionic combination between a metal and a nonmetal.
10. Cutting it out isn’t easy.