- 4 large jacket potatoes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 red onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sachet (30-39g), chilli con carne seasoning mix
- 500g beef mince
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can black beans, drained
- soured cream, grated cheese and coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork, then put on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 hr.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and fry over a high heat for 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic and chilli sachet. Stir a few times to coat the onions in the spices, then tip the onion mixture into a large ovenproof dish.
- Put the pan back over high heat and add the beef mince, breaking it up with a spatula as you go. Cook until starting to become crisp at the edges, then add to the dish with the onions. Return the pan to heat and cook the bacon until crisp at the edges. Add the bacon to the beef and stir to combine.
- Stir in the tomato purée and tomatoes, then put the dish in the oven with the potatoes and bake for 25-30 mins until bubbling and starting to thicken. Stir in the beans and season well. Return to the oven for 5 mins to warm through.
- Cut a cross in the top of each potato and squeeze the sides to open. Spoon in the baked chilli and top with soured cream, cheese and coriander if you like.
Jacket potatoes with home-baked beans
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 carrot
- , diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 400g can haricot beans, drained
- 2 tomatoes
- , chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
– choose sweet or hot depending on taste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp chopped chives, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and dry well, then prick in several places with a fork. Bake directly on the oven shelf for 1-1½ hrs, until they feel soft when squeezed.
- After 30 mins, heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the carrot and celery for 10 mins until softened. Add the beans, tomatoes and paprika and cook gently for a further 5 mins until the tomatoes are softened and pulpy. Stir in 100ml water and the Worcestershire sauce, cook for a further 5 mins then cover and keep warm.
- Split open the potatoes and spoon in the beans. Scatter with chives and serve.